From the kitchen of James Beard Award winne, Chef Maria Hines’ restaurant, Tilth, in Wallingford, we have Smoked Herring Pate + house pickles, frisée salad, radish for Alaska Herring Week 2017!
Wanna make this at home? You can purchase the same Alaska Herring fillets being used by Seattle’s top chefs for Alaska Herring Week from Central Coop on Capitol Hill, Freshy’s Seafood Market on Mercer Island, Old Ballard Liquor Co. in Ballard, and Wild Salmon Seafood Market at Fisherman’s Terminal! Once you’ve done that, here’s the recipe:
Smoked Herring Pate + house pickles, frisée salad, radish
- 1300 g herring confit
- 800 g smoked butter
- 2 ea lemons, zest
- 2 ea lemons, juice
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste
- pinch cayenne
- chives, minced
- Confit herring in olive oil w/ thyme, garlic, bay leaf and lemon peel. 145 F for 1 hour.
- In robo coupe, place confit herring and pulse.
- Add softened butter to robo coupe a bit at a time until mixture is smooth.
- Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and pinch of cayenne.
- Pass through a fine tamis using a plastic scraper.
- Fold in chopped lemon zest and chives.
- Place in a piping bag or in an appropriate size mold (half hotel pan lined w/ parchment for 1 x recipe).