Check this out! Crispy Fried Whole Alaska Herring, doused with palm sugar and fish sauce, topped with sour green mango, chilies and lime from Little Uncle for Alaska Herring Week 2017! Wow!
Wanna make this at home? You can purchase the same Alaska Herring fillets being used by Seattle’s top chefs for Alaska Herring Week from Central Coop on Capitol Hill, Freshy’s Seafood Market on Mercer Island, Old Ballard Liquor Co. in Ballard, and Wild Salmon Seafood Market at Fisherman’s Terminal! (Note: whole Alaska herring are not currently available for retail sale.) Once you’ve done that, here’s the recipe:
Crispy Fried Whole Alaska Herring, doused with palm sugar and fish sauce, topped with sour green mango, chilies and lime
Get these 4 components ready before finishing:
1 whole herring (note: herring fillets can be substituted)
- Butterfly from tail to head.
- Cut through the bones and head, too.
- Splay the fish open and dry with paper towels.
Oil or the fish:
- 2 cups oil for frying
Place the oil in a wide and deep pot that will hold and shallow fry the herring.
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
Melt the palm sugar in the fish sauce in a wide pan that will eventually hold the herring.
For the sour green mango topping:
- 1 cup shredded sour, firm green mango
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 Thai chilies, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons sliced shallot
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
In a small bowl gently toss all the ingredients.
- Heat the frying oil till hot enough to fry the fish, about 360 degrees F.
- Gently lay the fish into the oil inner side first (it will stick less).
- Fry the heck out of the fish until crispy, you will want to be able to eat the bones and head.
- Once the fish is fried enough, immediately place into the pan with the palm sugar glaze.
- With a spoon, baste the fish with the glaze a few times. Some glaze will be left behind in the pan.
- Place the fish on a plate.
- Top the fish with the green mango topping.
- Serve and eat with steamed rice.