Tomato-Marinated Pickled Herring with Fennel Salad from Marine Hardware for Northwest Herring Week!
- Serves: 4
- Preparation & Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Marinate: 3 days
- 8 Herring filets, scaled and pin boned
- 1 Red onion, small dice
- 6 Tbsp. light olive oil
- 4 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup Tomato puree
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 each Fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 Lemon, zested and reserved
- Lay filets in a shallow pan or cut into pieces.
- Mix oil, vinegar and tomato well. Season. If too thick mix with water.
- Sprinkle onions over herring then spoon marinade over fish. Cover and refrigerate for two days. Transfer marinated fish into zip lock bags making sure seal is tight. Bring a shallow pot of water to 122 degrees and place bag in and poach for 5 minutes. Take out and put into an ice bath. Take out of bath and place into refridgerator.
- When ready to serve, lay herring into serving bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Mix fennel with olive oil and lemon juice and zest. Season to taste. Divide and lay some fennel atop herring.